Thursday, January 17, 2008

Crunchy Banana Breakfast Muffins

"Bananas" posted by Crias on WetCanvas Image Library

I can't resist hot muffins for breakfast, so while I don't do it every day, I like to bake them fairly often. We have some bananas and I thought that'd be a good muffin base, so I checked my trusty Harrowsmith Cookbook for a recipe and came up with the following, which actually isn't the exact recipe: I forgot 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 Tbsp oil, I don't use salt nor can I use nuts, plus I added a bit more banana and changed the 1 cup unbleached flour to a split between that and whole wheat flour! I think I might next time include the oil, but it turned out with the extra banana in my version to not be necessary. I might also add just a touch of cinnamon next time, but really, they were good as is.

Crunchy Banana Muffins

1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 egg, beaten
2 mashed bananas (approximately 3/4 to 1 cup)
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup chopped sunflower seeds

Combine dry ingredients. Combine moist ingredients. Add moist to dry and mix until just moistened, and stir in sunflower seeds. Spoon batter into well-greased muffin tin to two-thirds full. Bake at 400°F for 18-20 minutes.

No comments: